Things I Learned in 2013
Last year I had a series of things I learned in 2012. I decided not to continue the monthly posts this year but was still keeping track of things as I came across them. Here’s a short list from the year.
- SAML 2.0 (utilizing OneLogin‘s ruby-saml gem)
- Salesforce Development (APEX, SOQL, REST/SOAP API, Chatter, Single Sign-On, etc.)
- Wrote soapforce gem based on Savon2 and restforce gem
- EngineYard – Excellent PaaS Provider
- Learned a number of things about MySQL and Postgres that I didn’t know before.
- Numerous remote APIs for integrating with service providers (Box, DocuSign, EasyPDFCloud, ConvertApi, DocRaptor)
- CSS content property
- HTML5 download attribute
- HTML5 Demos – contenteditable, storage, history
- CSS: user-select: none;
- $x(“//input[@type=’checkbox’]”) – Locate elements with XPath in FireBug
- IE has a maximum number of style tags and CSS rules it will load.
- @cc_on – IE specific conditional property
- rake db:migrate:status
- Tire gem for elasticsearch
- Rails Model.update_all
- rails runner
- guard (jasmine, rspec, rails, cucumber, etc)
- gems: bullet, mailcatcher, quiet_assets, better_errors
- bundle outdated
- Gemfile: gem ‘name’, github: ‘user/repo’
- ActiveRecord Batches
- requestb.in – Great debugging tool for http requests
- base64decode.org & base64encode.org
- cssclean.com & codebeautifier.com
- Freenode web chat
- Crocodoc – HTML5 Document Viewer (Acquired by Box May 2013)
- CMD+L takes you to address bar in Google Chrome on OSX
- Option+Enter to duplicate a tab in Google Chrome on OSX
- Generate the public portion of the key: ssh-keygen -y -f <name of key>
- Email notes to Evernote
- Argument Dependent Lookup (ADL) (C++)
- Dump/Load over SSH: mysqldump <dbname> | ssh <new_db_master_host> “mysql <dbname>”
- Made my first strawberry rhubarb pie. Rhubarb was ruled (by a New York court) to be a fruit in 1947 although technically a vegetable.
- Learned a lot about baseball after becoming a St Louis Cardinals fan this year.
- Bought my first motorcycle and have learned a lot about riding and taking care of a bike.
- Learned a bit about Seattle during my 6 week stay.
- Learned how to make a killer Egg Nog!
- Learned how to make soft pretzels